跳到主要內容

2020/8/14 津津有味、大驚小怪的英文怎麼說?

 2020/8/14 今日新聞英文 Today news today words

義大利年輕人不鳥社交距離

(From VOA)

1. 津津 (津津有味、津津樂道的感覺):relish(v.)
 relish the prospect/idea/opportunity/doing something
↪例:他很喜歡問別人私密問題。他很喜歡證明別人是錯的。
 relish (n.) with great relish
↪例:我吃得津津有味。I ate with great relish, enjoying every bite. ➔ Longman Dictionary

2. 大驚小怪:much ado about nothing
 出自莎士比亞的喜劇《無事生非》,是形容大驚小怪的意思。➔ Longman Dictionary
↪例:新冠肺炎只是大驚小怪。The coronavirus pandemic is much ado about nothing.

2-1. 毫不猶豫,立馬:without further ado
↪例:他立馬訂票。He booked the ticket without further ado.
↪例:他頭也不回地關門走人。He turned on his heel and left without further ado, slamming the door behind him. ➔ Longman Dictionary

3. 鄭重強調:emphatically

4. 厭煩,惱怒:chafe at/under/against something (特別是對於管制、批評)
↪例:義大利年輕人對上一代長期把持國家資源感到惱怒。Young Italians have long chafed at what they see as the hold that older generations have on the country.

5. 只剩一點屑屑:only crumbs /krʌm/ b不發音。麵包屑 bread crumbs.
allowing them mere crumbs that can't feed a future.
只剩一絲安慰/希望:There was only one crumb of comfort/hope.

6. 陷入泥淖:mired, sink into/stuck in the mire of something
mire 是深尼的意思,例:As the country is at present face down in the mire,
 the country remains mired in an economic crisis,


#by Jill Yang






留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

成佛有什麼用?what is the use of becoming a Buddha?

成佛有什麼用?What is the use of becoming a Buddha? This is a rhetorical question often asked by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. We always have the presumption that life is for a purpose and every thing we do should contribute to that purpose, otherwise it's useless. This ubiquitous utilitarianism dominates our modern society. It's so deep and prevalent that we can't even recognize we are acting under its influence. I was reading the book "The Miracle of Mindfulness" by Thich Nhat Hanh this week. He emphasizes on being mindful of one's breath, body movements, feelings and emotions a lot. That means we should be aware of our in breath and out breath at every moment, even when we are doing our work or talking to somebody.  While I seem to know what he's saying, I don't really understand why we should do that? Why should we be aware of our breath when it goes so well automatically? Why do we bother to mind it if human beings have evolved such a long way to make our ...

questions about mindfulness and concentration

I have some questions about mindfulness and concentration.  In the teachings, Thay says we should practice mindfulness in our daily lives and be aware of everything happening at this moment. But we are often doing multiple things simultaneously. For example, if I am washing the dishes, I am also breathing, seeing the splashes, and hearing the sounds of the water. With multiple perceptions and feelings at the same time, which one should we be mindful of? In one of the mindfulness practices Thay taught us, he says we can practice listening to music with mindfulness. This means being mindful of the music and the melodies while also aware of our breath. But shouldn't we focus on one thing at a time? How can we be mindful of multiple things simultaneously? When we are concentrated, do we remain mindful and aware of what is happening? For example, if I am listening to a Dharma talk, should I be aware of the words being said or the fact that I am listening to a talk from this Zen master a...

翻譯練習-【聖嚴法師 心靈環保法與】慈悲沒有敵人,智慧不起煩惱

  【聖嚴法師 心靈環保法與】 慈悲沒有敵人,智慧不起煩惱 Compassion has no enemy, wisdom gives rise to no affliction -- Master Sheng Yen 佛教中有「結緣」的說法,意思就是人與人之間彼此支持、協助,共同走上良善、光明的道路。 Buddhism speaks about "cultivating positive connection," meaning you and I support and help each other so that we can walk on the righteous and bright path together. 「慈悲沒有敵人,智慧不起煩惱」,慈悲的對象,除了慈悲別人,也要慈悲自己。因為不慈悲自己,會讓自己很痛苦。例如,有的人不肯原諒自己,於是就傷害自己。其實做錯事,改過就好,若是不斷責罰自己,就會一直陷在痛苦之中,這就是對自己不慈悲了。對別人也是一樣,如果態度不慈悲,可能就會一再地傷害他人。 In the quote "Compassion has no enemy, wisdom gives rise to no affliction, " we should not only have compassion toward others but also toward ourselves. Without self-compassion, life can be very painful. For example, if one doesn't know how to forgive oneself, they might end up punishing themselves. But the right way to deal with a mistake is to correct it, constantly reproach oneself and remain trapped in suffering . This is a form of self-cruelty. Similarly, if we are not compassionate in our attitude towa...