跳到主要內容

A few questions

 I have gotten a few questions on my mind.

The first one came earlier as I was trying to practice, mindful breathing. The question is, Why should we be mindful and pay attention to our breath when it works so well automatically. Heaven, human species evolved such a long way to make breath automatic? Even when I’m not aware of it, it works so perfectly. So why do I have to be mindful of my breath? 

And somehow, I have preliminary answer to it. Being mindful of our breath is not for breathing better. Breath is the lifeline for us to come back to the present moment. it is the lifebuoy we can cling onto in order to save ourselves from hell, from the traumatized the past and from the worrisome future. it’s wonderful that we can always have this lifeline with us. as long as we are a life. We will still have a breath that can save ourselves at any time. so being mindful of our breath is not for breath itself, but for curing our mind and bringing us back to the hearing now


The second question just came to me minutes ago. in Buddhism, it is said that we are our own Karma, and karma means actions. So we are our own actions. but Buddhism also says that everything inter-is. therefore, is it better to say that we are our own interactions, rather than just action. The wind blows, blowing is the wind. But there is no wind which is blowing. it is the whole cosmos that the wind is blowing. The wind and the action of blowing are at the same time everything else. so is it better to say that we are our own interactions?



#Jill

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

成佛有什麼用?what is the use of becoming a Buddha?

成佛有什麼用?What is the use of becoming a Buddha? This is a rhetorical question often asked by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. We always have the presumption that life is for a purpose and every thing we do should contribute to that purpose, otherwise it's useless. This ubiquitous utilitarianism dominates our modern society. It's so deep and prevalent that we can't even recognize we are acting under its influence. I was reading the book "The Miracle of Mindfulness" by Thich Nhat Hanh this week. He emphasizes on being mindful of one's breath, body movements, feelings and emotions a lot. That means we should be aware of our in breath and out breath at every moment, even when we are doing our work or talking to somebody.  While I seem to know what he's saying, I don't really understand why we should do that? Why should we be aware of our breath when it goes so well automatically? Why do we bother to mind it if human beings have evolved such a long way to make our ...

Life Toast Ep.3 Happiness or Suffering? You may want to think again - Revised transcript

Words can travel thousands of miles. May my words create mutual understanding and love. May they be as beautiful as gems, as lovely as flowers. Hello, welcome back to this podcast. I'm Jill. Today, I want to share a topic called happiness or suffering, you may want to think again. We all want crave happiness and we all want try to avoid suffering. But have you ever thought about what really is happiness truly considered what happiness really means ? What makes us happy truly brings us joy and what makes us suffer causes us pain ?

一個公案

Sometimes I come up with my own 公案, a philosophical dialogue or question to contemplate. This is a recent one: Master: The Buddha is not confined to his skin. He is everywhere. So if you only see the Buddha as someone in a physical body, you are wrong. The Buddha is present in the entire universe. Student: Dear Master, why do you say the Buddha is everywhere in the universe? I can't see how the Buddha can be found in the farthest star or at a time before the Buddha Shakyamuni. Master: What Buddha? This came to me after I listened to a Dharma talk from Thich Nhat Hanh on "there is action but no actor". Whenever we wonder "who" is doing "what", "when" and "where", we are caught in the wrong perceptions and are blinded by wrong questions. It's like asking "where is the parallel universe?" That's a false question because space and location are in the universe, not the universe is in the space. And this also came to me ...